Awesome People!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Starting Chantix Program

It's been a long time since I've written anything.  First, before I talk about Chantix, I had a wonderful night a few weeks ago.  My son and I mended our fences, and all 4 of my kids were together!  Here are some pics...
Sami, Tyler, Sara and Matthew

Sami showing off her beautiful smile.
Tyler and his girlfriend, Michelle.
It was a very happy night.

Now, about the smoking.  I have been smoking for a total of 17 years!  Ugh!  I did stop in the middle for 12 years, but started back up 8 years ago.  Right now I'm at just under 1 pack a day.  It's horrible.  It makes me stink, my car stinks, my teeth aren't shiny, my husband is not a smoker and he complains aaaalllll the time.  My kids hate it.  I wheeze when I breathe.  The doctor just gave me an inhaler to help my breathing.  That's getting bad.  But there's still time for me.  I just had a few xrays and tests done and I do not have lung, lymph node or breast cancer.  That's great news!  I was really worried about that for a long time.

I have tried lots of things to try to stop smoking before.  I quit for 12 years when I got hypnotized...the "real" way.  Not this bull crap "guided imagery" they try to pass off as hypnosis these days.  I have tried that about 5 times and it does not work.  I've tried nicotine gum.  It helped slightly, but not really.  And I've tried going cold turkey.  That didn't work out at all.  I've also given electronic cigarettes a go.  No go. Now I'm at my wit's end.  I hate smoking, and I've got to stop!

The Chantix is very expensive, and I was pretty shocked.  It was $191 for what will last me 33 days.  Yikes! My husband about had a coronary.  Oh, here's a little side story.  He says, "You've tried all kinds of ways to stop smoking and it's cost a ton of money."  And he was not excited about spending more money on another "cure".  I said to him, "If you had a disease and the doctor gave you a medicine and it didn't work, would you give up and live with the disease or would you spend money on another medicine until you found one that worked?"  He didn't say much after that.

Ok, so what I'm going to do is check in every couple of days and give a run down on how it's going.  One concern I have is that I am a psychiatric patient, diagnosed and being treated for bipolar disorder, depression and schizzo-affective disorder.  Chantix can make symptoms worse in psychiatric patients, so I have to keep a real good eye on how my moods are doing.  Hopefully I'll be one of those that never experiences those problems.  Say some prayers and send some encouraging thoughts my way.  I took my first 1/2 mg tablet tonight.  My official Stop Date is February 11, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Be careful Lisa, that's a dangerous combo. My shrink won't even let me try Chantix! Good luck, I wish I could quit!

    ReplyDelete