Awesome People!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chantix Diary Day 5

I have no signs of any bad psychiatric side affects to worsen my bipolar-ness or my schizzo-affective disorder.  Great news!  Let's keep that theme going as I continue.  The other day I said it seemed as if I was smoking more.  I actually wasn't.  I signed up for the Get Quit internet support program and they give daily homework assignments.  One of them was to keep track of every time I smoked and what was going on or what I was feeling at the time and then write it down.  When I started taking Chantix I was up to almost 1 pack a day.  When I took a look at what I was doing on day 3, I only smoked 10 cigarettes the whole day.  I think what might have been happening is that each time I smoked after starting this program, I was fully aware of what I was doing and it seemed like a whole lot.  I think that although I was smoking more before I started, I wasn't paying any attention to what I was doing and did it only half-consciously.  Does that make sense?

I still crave, although I can go longer periods in between when I feel like I "have" to have one.  Another thing that I have heard so much is that many people practically quit before their quit day because the cigarettes start tasting bad.  I have not had that happen yet, although I wish it would.

I'm still a little panicky about the whole quit day thing.  I was invited to go to a monthly "sweepers" meeting this Saturday.  I immediately thought...I don't know if I can do that right on my first day of no cigarettes!  I thought about the looooong car drive there and back, plus the eating in between.  After a few minutes of high anxiety I started thinking rationally.  The drive each way is only 20 minutes.  Although one of my biggest triggers and one of the places where I "have" to smoke is in the car, surely I can put off for just 20 minutes there and 20 minutes back, right?  I'm thinking I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about the quit day. You are placing too much emphasis on it.

    I recently had my gall bladder removed. When I checked into the hospital before surgery, a nurse came into the room to do my write up. She listened to my lungs first and asked how long ago I quit smoking. I asked her how she knew I had smoked. She told me she could tell because of the way my air moved through my lungs. It does not move as freely as someone who had never smoked. I QUIT IN 1980!! **31** years AGO!!! and a nurse could still tell that I had smoked.

    Keep going Lisa. You can do it. You don't need no stinking cigarettes!!
    Much encouragement & love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete