Awesome People!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chantix Diary Day 8 -- Quit Day!

I'll write throughout the day, partly as therapy for myself, and also to give a rundown on how the whole day goes.

Morning

Bleary eyed, I woke up thinking I need to go outside and have a cigarette.  But then I remembered.  Today I become a non-smoker.  It was an exciting thought, but scary at he same time.  I sat down at my computer and there was an email waiting for me from Chantix' "Get Quit" program.  They send activities to do every day in preparation of your quit day and also on following through the program.  They really do help.  Today's activity was to make a 24 hour action plan.  Divided into morning, afternoon, evening and night, I selected triggers from a drop down (that I created a previous day) and then select from a drop down what I will do to get past the urge and craving (that list I also created on a previous activity).  So I printed it out and I will keep it with me.  Then when I'm not thinking real clearly I can just refer to my 24 hour action plan.

I'm going to do my best to keep myself busy today.  I am going to start off with doing all my online contests.  That usually takes about 2 hours.  I have to drive my daughter and her friend to the mall, and that's going to be one of my biggest challenges.  A few hours later I have to pick them up and take Sami to an eye doctor appointment.  Another challenge because while she's looking for frames I usually go outside and have a smoke.  Not today.

I feel pretty good.  My head isn't spinning like it usually does when I haven't had my nicotine.  I'm thinking about it a little obsessively, but I think that is probably normal for most people.  After all, this is a MAJOR life change.  I admit I also took a 1mg Clonapin, an anti-anxiety pill to help me through. All right, I'll check back in a bit later.

Afternoon

I made it past morning!!!!  Yea for me!  I have been smoke free for more than 12 hours now, and it feels great already.  I have to admit that I am still thinking about it, but I'm not obsessing or jonesing and telling myself all the reasons I should give up and go buy a pack.  No, it's more of just thoughts, like I should be doing something..."oh, yeah.  I'm supposed to be smoking.  Smoking sounds good.  No it doesn't.  I don't smoke anymore!"  That's kind of some of the internal dialogue that has been going on.

I kept busy this morning by making two batches of the most delicious peanut butter granola clusters.  They have (of course) peanut butter, honey, a smidge of butter, rice krispies, rolled oats, a variety of dried fruits (peaches, apricots, cranberries and apples) as well as cruncy banana chips chopped up in the blender.  Then, just for good measure, I added some chopped up chocolate chips.  They are so good!  I can't get enough.  Super easy, too!  These are going to be in our house quite a bit from now on I think.

Now, in a few minutes I have to get in the car (that smells like smoke) and drive my daughter to the mall and come home again, alone with my thoughts, driving past several Circle K's.  I can do it!

Evening

Here it is, a little after 6p.m., and I HAVEN'T SMOKED!!!!!  I have driven in my car without smoking several times.  I even went into the Circle K, bought a diet Mountain Dew thirstbuster and NO smokes!!!  I am so dang proud of myself.  Holy crow I can't believe this is actually working.  I just can't get over it.  I have a slight headache, but it doesn't seem that so far I have had any bad side affects from the Chantix.  I'll keep my eye on that, though.  I have thoughts about it, but they are just thoughts and not overly obsessive.  They come and they go.  I even sat with my daughter at the eye doctor for over an hour and a half and I did just fine!  Had my diet soda with me and just took a drink when I felt like I needed to keep my hands and  mouth busy doing something.  I have no doubts I will do just fine the rest of the night.  I can't wait for Quit Day 2!

1 comment:

  1. I have read that T companies put chemicals in cigarettes now that weren't there when I smoked. You are really focused and I am so glad for you that you are so determined. You WILL succeed.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete