Awesome People!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ma's Diner

I feel like my best contribution to my family is the food I feed them.  Since going on disability and my slow recovery from terrible agoraphobia, my main goal is to remain stable mentally.  My main jobs are to do the grocery shopping, cook dinners, make home made lunches for the kids to take to school, and playing taxi driver.  It doesn't seem like much, I know.  But you have to understand that my agoraphobia first started with an anxiety attack in a trip to the grocery store.  So that has always been the hardest place for me to go since then. 

My family loves my cooking, and it's so important to me that they enjoy their food.  They say that a lot of it looks like cat puke, but it sure does taste good.  And Matthew (11) says all the time that I would win if I were on the Food Network's "Chopped".  He says I just need to add a leaf to finish off my dishes.  lol

BUT

I am sooooooooo sick of my overly done menu.  I'm so over everything on it.  I have a list printed out with the main meat categories of chicken, beef, pork and "other stuff" (like breakfast for dinner).  Then I list the meals that I make with each of those meats.  THEN instead of me going crazy trying to figure out what to buy each week I take the list around and tell everyone to pick something off the list.  Mexican chicken is one that everyone picks, so that has to stay on my list.

What I need are some new and fresh ideas.  I sure would like some input from you out there on your favorite go-to meal.  I have been searching the internet for new ideas and found a Tex-Mex Chicken & Rice casserole that was a hit that I'll do again.  And last night I did a Mexican Minestrone (vegetarian) that my vegetarian daughter didn't touch and I think what made it a hit with the other 3 was that I served it with my famous guacamole and some tortilla chips.  I don't think I'll add that one to my cookbook or my list.  Do you have a recipe that you have served in your house for your family or for guests that is always a hit?  Please tell me!!!!! 

I also have to make 2 separate dinners every night.  I make the original recipe for 4 of us and then a vegetarian version of that recipe for my non-meat eater.  At first that was such a hassle, but I continued because I love and now it's just second nature.  The only problem is this...I have 1 skillet, one pot and 1 little saucepan.  And a couple mixing bowls.  I have plenty of casserole dishes in several sizes and I have a big crockpot.  Is there anything you can contribute to the cause?  I'd love to hear from you! 

Tonight's dinner was a family classic.  Bean slop.  Sounds yummy doesn't it?  Not! lol  But it's ok.  All it is, is 1 pound of ground beef browned, add brown sugar (maybe 1/2 Cup) to the beef and stir it up so the meat is coated in carmelized sugar, and then add a large can of baked beans.  For Sami I use Quorn brand "beef" crumbles, brown sugar and vegetarian baked beans.  Then when it's bubbly you serve it open-faced on hamburger buns and eat with a fork.  It's one of Sara's favorites.  But I'm tired of it and didn't eat dinner. 

I need help!  Please share your recipes!  But NO FISH!!!!  eegads I don't like fish.  Or innards.  I don't think I could make liver or anything like that.  ick.  We eat mostly chicken, pork and sometimes beef.  And the one thing I have no idea on how to cook is steak.  I'll try making what you share, take pics and post on it.  :)  And I'll share some of my family's favorites with you too.

4 comments:

  1. How firm is your vegetarian? Would she consider eating a dish that had been cooked with sausage links, but the links removed from the dish? If so I have a recipe that's a real favorite around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, kipper! i'm pretty firm when i make her dinners. i should really say she's a "pescatarian" which means she eats fish (just tuna). but i can just make her a separate dish with vegetarian sausage. please share what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Laurie is a vegatarian too. You are good! I won't cook two meals. Eat what I make or fend for yourself ala campbells soup.

    Did you ever make any of the Bisquick Impossible Pies? There are tons and easy to make one or two varieties at the same time. They are always a hit at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bean crock pot dish (or stove top) that's delicious and would be easy to make in two versions. I'll send you the recip by email.

    Fun post! Fun blog! xxoo

    ReplyDelete